Airships are making a comeback in the 21st century and this site will be following the latest developments in the airship world as they happen - especially if they’re in the UK.
In the meantime, here are some of the latest stories that are making headlines in the world of airships:
NASA planning to explore Venus in manned solar-powered airship - ExtremeTech (Posted on 18 December 2014)
HAV Delays Hybrid Airship Flight; Selex To Study Sensors - Aviation International News (Posted on 17 December 2014)
Army tests blimp-like airship that is part of anti-missile system along East Coast - Fox News (Posted on 17 December 2014)
NASA Study Proposes Airships, Cloud Cities for Venus Exploration - IEEE Spectrum (Posted on 16 December 2014)
How The Order: 1886's Airship Infiltration Mixes Old With New - TheSixthAxis (Posted on 8 December 2014)
Futuristic Interiors of German WWII Airship Hindenburg - Sputnik International (Posted on 3 December 2014)
A contest to build high-flying airships? NASA's thinking about it - Los Angeles Times (Posted on 3 December 2014)
NASA Wants To Put A Telescope On A Giant Airship - Huffington Post UK (Posted on 28 November 2014)
The Zeppelin: Aboard 'the hotel in the sky' - BBC News (Posted on 27 November 2014)
Lockheed sees buyer for hybrid cargo airship in 2015 - Reuters (Posted on 21 November 2014)
To learn more about airships and see how they are being reinvented for the 21st century, we'd recommend having a look at some the websites we've linked to below:
- Airship and Blimp Consultant - Airship & Blimp Consultant is run by 'TRH', an experienced airship pilot offering consultancy and his views on the airship industry to visitors to his site. Even if you aren't interested in his services, the site is worth a visit for the information it contains about recent developments in the airship industry.
- GASBAGS - For a more lighthearted look at the world of airships and blimps, GASBAGS is the answer!
- Zeppelin NT - the Germans pioneered airship technology and Zeppelin NT is reinventing airship travel for the 21st century.
- Airship Ventures - this company has imported a Zeppelin NT to the USA and operates passenger tours over famous landmarks around the USA
- Airshipworld - for all the latest airship industry news, check out this popular blog
- Airships.net - learn all about the history of the famous, early airships - such as the Graf Zeppelin and the ill-fated Hindenburg
- 21st Century Airships - this company is developing a number of special purpose airships for passenger and cargo use.
- MyAirship.com - for a wide range of airship information and resources (including information about building your own airship), visit My Airship. This site isn’t updated very much anymore but does have a lot of information.
There’s much more out there but I hope this will give you a taste of the exciting future (and present) that’s in store in the world of dirigible aviation. In the meantime check out these airship related items on eBay:
Keep checking back - they’ll be more here soon!